Punjab is facing one of the most severe flood emergencies in recent history as water levels continue to rise in the Chenab, Ravi and Sutlej rivers, displacing millions across the province.
Punjab Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) Director General Irfan Ali Kathia warned that the situation could worsen within the next 24 hours.
According to PDMA, the Chenab River is flowing at 215,000 cusecs at Khanki Headworks and 203,000 cusecs at Qadirabad, while discharge at Trimmu Headworks has spiked to 299,000 cusecs. At Chiniot bridge, flows of 282,000 cusecs were reported, with officials terming the situation “stable.”
A discharge of 700,000 cusecs is expected at Trimmu on September 1, while 800,000 cusecs may pass through Head Muhammadwala. Severe flooding is also likely at the Sher Shah Bridge.
By September 2, the Ravi River is expected to merge with the Chenab River, putting Khanewal and Kabirwala at high risk.
In Multan, a large number of people remain in riverine areas along the Chenab River. Despite the administration cutting off electricity for three days, residents have refused to leave. A major flood wave in the Chenab River is expected to reach the city by tonight.
The Ravi has recorded 204,000 cusecs at Head Balloki, though flows at Shahdara and Ravi Siphon have declined. The Sutlej River, meanwhile, remains in high flood with 253,000 cusecs at Ganda Singh Wala, 154,000 cusecs at Head Sulemanki, 68,000 cusecs at Head Islam and 88,000 cusecs at Panjnad Headworks.
Read: Floods head south after ravaging heartland
At Uch Sharif, authorities said floodwaters from the Sutlej, Chenab and Ravi rivers will reach Head Panjnad—the last barrage in South Punjab—within the next 72 hours before merging into the Indus River. With a capacity of 865,000 cusecs, the barrage has been placed on high alert. Officials said floodwaters could impact the Bahawalpur and Muzaffargarh districts, where evacuation announcements have already been made.
In Muzaffargarh, Deputy Commissioner Usman Tahir Jappa said the Chenab’s flood surge is expected to enter the district between September 2 and 3. In anticipation, 105 schools across the district have been closed until September 6, while a scheduled polio vaccination campaign has been postponed. Floods are feared to affect 104 villages, with 18 relief camps set up for displaced residents.
Schools to reopen in Lahore
Lahore Deputy Commissioner Syed Musa Raza has issued a notification announcing that all schools across the city will reopen from September 1.
According to the notification, schools established in flood-affected areas and those functioning as relief camps will remain closed for the time being.
The district administration advised parents and students to stay in contact with school administrations. It added that all schools must strictly follow the guidelines issued by the School Education Department.
Read more: Flood may impact 1.65m in 14 Sindh districts
Punjab battling ‘super flood’
Punjab Senior Minister Marriyum Arangzeb said on Sunday that a “super flood” has hit Punjab, creating extraordinary conditions in the Ravi, Sutlej and Chenab rivers.
Speaking to the media in Lahore, she said all machinery of the Punjab government was engaged in saving lives. More than two million people have been affected by the floods and around 750,000 people have been displaced, with115,000 rescued with the help of boats, Marriyum Arangzeb briefed the media.
Rescue institutions have also saved 500,000 cattle, while 400 veterinary camps have been established across Punjab. All schools have been converted into relief camps.
Aurangzeb said 2,207 villages had been affected, with another 1,000 expected to come under threat. Districts including Jhang, Multan, Muzaffargarh, Okara, Toba Tek Singh and Vehari remain on high alert, with government rescue arrangements in place.
She confirmed 38 flood-related deaths caused by collapsing roofs, electrocution and other incidents.
Private sector organisations and NGOs are assisting, while medical camps and mobile clinics are delivering health services. Relief camps are supplying food, rations, water and medicines. Police have been put on alert after reports of theft in relief centres, while rescue operations are being supported with drones and thermal cameras.