HANGU/KOHAT/PESHAWAR: Nine militants were killed and several others injured during a joint intelligence-based operation in the Zargari Shanawari area of Hangu district, officials said on Friday.
According to the police spokesperson, District Police Officer (DPO) Muhammad Khalid and SHO Doaba Nabi Khan sustained injuries during heavy exchange of fire with militants.
DPO Khalid, who suffered bullet wounds, was initially treated at the District Headquarters Hospital in Hangu and was later taken to the Combined Military Hospital (CMH) in Kohat. His condition was stated to be out of danger. SHO Nabi Khan was receiving treatment at a hospital in Doaba. A lieutenant colonel of FC Thall Scouts and Bomb Disposal Unit (BDU) in-charge Asad were also injured and were taken to the CMH Thall.
The operation was launched after reports about the presence of militants.
The Hangu Police, Counter-Terrorism Department (CTD), and Frontier Corps (FC) Thall Scouts took part in the operation.
Officials confirmed that during the gunbattle, three police vehicles were set ablaze, and two government surveillance drones were destroyed by militants.
Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Inspector General of Police (IGP) Zulfiqar Hameed praised the courage of the injured officers and vowed to continue decisive action against militants. “The DPO was leading from the front during the operation. His morale remains high despite being injured. Operations against terrorists will continue with full force,” the IGP said.
Regional Police Officer Kohat Abbas Majeed Marwat said an operation was being conducted by police, army and Thall Scouts against the terrorists in Doaba when they opened fire on the DPO Hangu. He said DPO Khalid Khan, a wing commander of Thall Scouts and one SHO were wounded. Majid also said that nine militants had been killed in the operation so far. “The operation is ongoing successfully, and more actions are being carried out to eliminate the terrorists,” he added. The RPO said nine terrorists were killed and some were wounded. He added operations against the terrorists will continue.
The spokesman for the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Police said nine terrorists were killed and several injured in the operation in Hangu. He said the IGP talked to the DPO and he was out of danger. Khalid Khan was to be shifted to Peshawar later.
“Spoke to brave DPO Muhammad Khalid, who was injured during the successful operation against the Fitna-e-Hind in Hangu. I deeply admire his courage and leadership,” said interior minister Mohsin Naqvi on Saturday. He said under the command of DPO, 9 terrorists were eliminated. “Praying for his and SHO Nabi Khan’s swift recovery. Pakistan is proud of its heroes,” said the minister.